As we drove into Lima we noticed some unassuming artwork placed on the mountains of this region. Being a big fan of the use of creative space, this art was pretty awesome. There were designs and emblems representing certain military branches as well as phrases of love and expressions of peace and religion. I wish I could have gotten a picture of some of them, but the bus was going around the mountains too much for me to get a good picture.
One in particular caught my eye that read "vive Christo" meaning Christ lives. It was an incredible expression made of rock embedded into the side of the hill that welcomed us to a city outside of Lima. What an awesome reassurance of God's love surrounding people all over the world.
This bus drive alone has made me rethink all over again what it is I NEED to survive in life. Across the Peruvian countryside, many small villages reside with house after house constructed of woven grass. In these areas, trash often litters the gully's bottoms and the residents of these areas might not even think they're missing out on all that much. So why do I feel like they are? Back home, I can drive to almost anything I need within a 5 mile radius of my house. They can't do this by any stretch of the imagination.
So what is it that makes us think we need certain things in life? I'm not saying they don't wish they had more, but I have a small feeling they enjoy life sometimes more than many people ever do in the states. I'm reminded of this verse on our journey:
"So we do not lose heart. Though our outer self is wasting away, our inner self is being renewed day by day." 2 Corinthians 4:16
I feel renewed.
No comments:
Post a Comment